Wednesday, February 10, 2010

GAME Plan Week 6

As I continue to compile research upon constructing my GAME plan for instruction, I took a good look at concept mapping. I am a big fan of this learning tool. I have used concept mapping for some time now, but with a technological inhancement. I was researching the web and found there are many good sites and programs that make mapping fun and instructional as well. These sites allow students to be creative and these sites also give students the opportunity learn material in an organized fashion. A concept is given and students must break it down into detail and allows them the freedom to be creative at the same time. I am a big fan when students add pictures. These visual learners like myself, can create many maps by expressing what they know through pictures and not just words.
Given my own personal goals for improving my technology, I would definetly like to see myself continue to break my own inhibitions and dive right in. I am still a bit aprehensive when it comes to technology and I would like to become an explorer not just a follower.

3 comments:

  1. Rodney-I like concept maps too. It is a method to start any small or large research project. Concept maps allow students to organize the new information and start abstracting the information for any type of project. I started using concept maps at the end of last school year and now I am using them more this year. I observed several weeks ago that my students customize their maps to their thought processes! Several of them that were not sitting next to one another had made time lines! Watching them make the maps is a descritive, non verbal way of telling us about their technology skills. They are very proud of these maps and have fun making them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rodney-
    I think so much can be learned through concept mapping. I would love for you to post some of the great sites you have found that you feel are worth using. I know it is hard formy students, they are very young, but I still like to add in new ideas.

    I love your statement at the end of your post that said you want to be an explorer and not just a follower. I think all of us in this program are trying to do the same! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rodney,
    My fifth grade students like to use concept mapping also. However, getting them into the computer lab to work on the projects is a wall that I hit all the time. I was curious to how you manage using computers with your students. Do they start projects at school and work on them at home or do you have access to computers when you need them? In class yesterday, I was showing students how to make a concept map for writing a personal narrative. I was just thinking if there are students that would be more motivated to write if they could have created their concept map on a computer program.
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete